When it comes to fashion, faux fur is chic and luxurious stuff and they are a favourite when it comes to keeping you warm and cuddly. You may want to clean the fur after use so that it looks at how it was when you bought it. While many fake fur coats may have a tag that only suggests dry cleaning, it is possible to clean fake fur at home. Luckily, with a little effort, you can keep your coat looking its best!
Before you start, it is important to read the care label on your faux fur coat. The label will tell you whether you can hand/machine wash or you can only dry-clean it. The tag may contain standardized symbols indicating how to care for the item.
Handwashing is always the safest way to wash faux fur. All you need to follow some simple steps:
- Fill the basin or bucket with cold or lukewarm water, use a mild detergent or washing soap specially used for handwashing.
- Soak the garment and agitate the water gently to spread soap equally with your hands. Soak for a maximum time or as per required.
- Rinse well until the water is no longer soapy by running cool water through the coat.
- Before putting the faux fur coat in the washing machine, turn the coat inside out. This will cause less wear on the fur. Place it gently in the machine without any other garments or with those which can be washed along with the jacket.
- Use cold water and set the machine in the delicate wash cycle. Try using a gentle washing detergent.
- When done rinse the cloth in water to remove excess soap or detergent.
Drying and storing the faux fur
Never use a dryer even on no- heat settings because the heat can destroy the fibres. So we recommend to hang it on a hanger to dry air. Once the cloth dries us, use a wide combed tooth or brush to detangle and smooth the fibres.
When it comes to storing always place the coat in a clean thing. It is best to keep products in a breathable cotton hanging garment bag and try to avoid plastic storage as they encourage yellowing and may trap mildew-causing moisture.
If you have any questions about cleaning faux fur at home or if you decide to take your clothes to a dry cleaner for help. The launderette is one such professional expert which offers the best dry-cleaning services. Do give it a shot and we guarantee that you won’t be disappointed.
If you find this blog helpful, don’t forget to share it. And if you’ve got any suggestions or feedback do share it on our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram page, we’d be happy to hear from you. You can also write to us at email@example.com